Derived from the original source at HymsonLaser, this comprehensive guide delves into the world of five-axis CNC machines. These automated tools have become indispensable in the machining of continuous, smooth, and complex surfaces. When confronted with the challenges of designing and manufacturing intricate curved surfaces, the five-axis machining technology emerges as a reliable ally.
The five-axis linkage is the pinnacle of CNC technology, amalgamating computer control, high-performance servo drive, and precision machining technology. It is employed for efficient, precise, and automatic machining of complex curved surfaces, symbolizing the automation technology level of a nation’s manufacturing equipment. Its significance is particularly pronounced in aviation, aerospace, and military industries due to its unique status.
Purchasing a Five-Axis Machine Tool
The acquisition of a new high-end CNC machine can be an exhilarating yet financially taxing endeavor. With CNC market reports estimating the average price of a new five-axis machine tool close to $100,000, it is crucial to be well-informed about the manufacturer. Details such as warranty, payment options, and post-order support can significantly ease the buying process.
Finding the Right CNC Machine
If you are seeking the ideal CNC machine at the best possible price, you are in the right place. This guide serves as a valuable resource whether you are researching your options or comparing machine prices. If you are ready to buy today, compare HymsonLaser’s selection of the top-rated 5 axis CNC router machines listed below this guide, and find the right one for your business.
A 5 axis CNC router machine is a type of multi-axis 3D machining center with a CNC controller. Unlike a 3D printer, it resembles the 3 axis and 4 axis CNC machine, but with two additional axes. These extra axes allow for shorter project time due to their capability of cutting five edges of the material simultaneously. However, these five-axis machines have a longer X-axis, which could potentially compromise stability and accuracy, requiring more of your attention than a 3 axis or 4 axis CNC router.
Understanding the working principle of a five-axis CNC machine begins with comprehending the concept of “axis”:
- X-axis: front to back.
- Y-axis: left to right.
- Z-axis: up and down.
- A, B, or C axis corresponds to the rotation axis of X, Y, and Z axes.
Five-axis CNC machines move a part or tool on five different axes simultaneously via CNC programming. This technology enables the tool to approach the part from all directions, enhancing the efficiency and precision of the machining process.
There are eight common types of 5 axis computer numerical controlled machine tools: five-axis linkage machining center, five-axis CNC machining center, five-axis precision machining center, five-axis high-speed machining center, small five-axis machining center, high-precision five-axis machining center, five-axis CNC router machine, and vertical five-axis machining center.
A 5 axis CNC machine is designed to deliver high speed and high-quality cuts for a wide range of materials, including but not limited to wood, plastics, non-ferrous metals, and other composites. The CNC machine offers various new applications including:
- Edge trimming of molded plastic, thermoformed plastic, and composite parts.
- Deep cavity mold making.
- Molded plywood chairs and decorative furniture parts.
- Detailed 3D carvings.
The 5 axis CNC machine is characterized by high efficiency and high precision, and complex machining can be completed inone clamping of the workpiece. It is well-suited to the processing of modern molds such as auto parts and aircraft structural parts. However, it’s crucial to distinguish between a five-axis machining center and a five-sided machining center, as many people often confuse the two. The five-axis machining center has five axes X, Y, Z, A, C. X, Y, Z axis and A, C axis form a five-axis linkage processing, excelling in space surface processing, special-shaped processing, hollow processing, punching, oblique holes, bevel cuts, etc.
Here are the specifications for a typical 5 axis CNC machine from HymsonLaser:
- Brand: HymsonLaser
- Spindle: HSD
- Servo System: YASKAVA
- Inverter: Delta
- Tool Magazine: Linear/Carousel
- Capability: 2D/2.5D/3D Machining
- Control System: SYNTEC/OSAI
- Price Range: $80,000.00 – $150,000.00
If you’re considering buying or DIYing a 5 axis CNC router kit, you may be wondering about the cost. According to different machine features and models, you can expect a price range from $80,000.00 to $150,000.00. If you’re buying from overseas, remember to include customs clearance, tax, and shipping costs in the final price.
Pros & Cons
Like any other machine, the 5 axis CNC machine has its pros and cons.
- It can process free-form surfaces that cannot be processed by ordinary 3 axis machine tools or that cannot be processed at one time.
- It can achieve the machining accuracy and quality of free-form surfaces under the premise of high effects.
- It can complete the processing of the entire part at one time by using a shorter tool.
- It eliminates the need to reposition the workpiece at complex angles for multiple debugging and clamping.
- It can also enable the machine tool to process complex parts, which is impossible with other methods.
- Five-axis CNC programming is abstract and difficult to operate.
- It has very strict requirements on NC interpolation controller and servo drive system.
- NC program verification of five-axis CNC is particularly important.
- There used to be a huge price gap between five-axis machines and three-axis machines.
Parts & Accessories
A 5 axis CNC machine comprises several parts and accessories, including:
- Basic components: bed, column, and table.
- Spindle parts: main shaft box, main shaft motor, main shaft, and main shaft bearing.
- Numerical control system: CNC device, programmable controller PLC, servo drive device, and operation panel.
- Automatic tool change system: tool magazine, manipulator drive mechanism, etc.
- Auxiliary device: lubrication, cooling, chip removal, protection, hydraulics, pneumatics, and detection systems.
- APC automatic pallet change system.
When you’re considering purchasing a new or used 5-axis CNC machine online, you need to follow certain steps in your online buying process. These steps include planning your budget, doing your research, requesting a consult, getting a free quotation, signing a contract, building your machine, inspection, shipping, custom clearance, and support & service.