In the contemporary era, the creation of three-dimensional (3D) models has expanded to encompass a plethora of applications, from the formation of intricate relief sculptures to the production of highly specialized components for sectors such as aviation and automotive. Now, through the utilization of a 3D CNC machine, one can meticulously carve and cut an array of materials ranging from wood to metal, capabilities which outshine even the most sophisticated 3D printers.
A 3D CNC router, when equipped with a 4th axis, demonstrates a proficiency in rotary carving for cylindrical items. This 4-axis functionality allows for the carving of complex 3D shapes at 180-degree angles. With 5-axis functionality, this becomes even more sophisticated, enabling milling of virtually any 3D model at 360-degree angles.
This emerging technology has experienced an escalation in global usage, spurred by continuous innovation and advancements. If you are contemplating venturing into the realm of 3D machining, the current market circumstances may prove to be fortuitous. With the advent of 3D printers and a substantial increase in user uptake, 3D machine tool prices have plummeted to record lows.
For those seeking an affordable yet efficacious 3D machining solution for their business, a comprehensive understanding of the pertinent professional knowledge points is crucial prior to purchasing your initial 3D CNC router. As your expertise burgeons, you’ll be better equipped to discern the optimal machine tool for your enterprise.
Moreover, the most in-demand 3D CNC machines in 2023, replete with essential details, are enumerated in the succeeding section of this guide.
Let’s delve deeper:
A 3D CNC router is an automated machine tool that amalgamates computer technology with machining technology, carving out three-dimensional shapes and contours from a multitude of materials such as wood, foam, metal, PVC, plastic, silica gel, fiberglass, carbon fiber, and its composite materials, oil mud, and wood substitutes. The term ‘three-dimensional’ pertains to the interlacing of three artificial directions—X-axis (left-right space), Y-axis (up-down space), and Z-axis (front-rear space). This combination creates a positional system whereby any point within a given space can be accurately determined, evoking a sense of visual three-dimensionality.
Different types of 3D CNC machines provide varied functionalities:
- The 4th axis CNC machine possesses three feed axes (X, Y, Z), with the Y-axis manually replaceable by a rotating axis. At most, it can link three axes and is adept at milling and cutting planes, reliefs, and cylinders.
- A 4-axis CNC machine operates on four feed axes (X, Y, Z, A), but can only perform three-axis linkage processing. It can carve and cut planes, reliefs, cylinders, and irregular 3D shapes.
- The 4-axis linkage automatic machine tool, having four feed axes (X, Y, Z, A), can facilitate four-axis linkage processing, and is capable of milling and cutting planes, reliefs, cylinders, and irregular 3D shapes.
- The 5-axis CNC machine, a multi-axis 3D CNC machining center, refers to any 5 coordinates’ linear interpolation movement in X, Y, Z, A, B, and C. Compared to the traditional three-axis (X, Y, Z) machining, five-axis machining allows complex geometric parts to be machined in five degrees of freedom, offering high machining accuracy, particularly useful for complex curved surface parts.
Harnessing the prowess of a 3D CNC machine allows the user to engage in the nuanced artistry of stereo 3D machining technology. This includes, but is not limited to, sculpting furniture with rich three-dimensional details, crafting cylindrical shapes, creating intricate human form or spiritual figures such as Buddha or Goddess of Mercy. This technology extends to artistic works and handicrafts, musical instruments, stair handrails, and other forms of artistic endeavor.
A 3D CNC machine can expertly maneuver through an assortment of materials, including wood, stone, foam, and soft metals, providing the ability to execute true three-dimensional machining. The vast scope of 3D machining capabilities makes this machine tool a remarkable asset in sectors such as arts, crafts, gifts, and furniture manufacturing.
- The 360-degree 3D CNC machining introduces a new horizon of opportunities in the world of 3D CNC machines, addressing unique requirements in industries such as furniture and crafts making.
- The precision of the 3D machining process is assured as the cylindrical material is held securely by a chuck through three holders, ensuring a balanced and effective force. This uniform exertion and accurate center positioning facilitate precise machining.
- The specifications of the rotary’s diameter and length can be customized according to the user’s needs.
- The bi-directional orienting guides contribute significantly to achieving high positioning accuracy.
- The restoring function equips the machine with the capability to resume operations after abrupt stoppages, such as in cases of tool breaking.
Brand: Hymson Laser
Models: STM1325, STM1530, STM2015, STM21120
Size: 4′ x 4′, 4′ x 8′, 5′ x 10′
Materials: Wood, Metal, Stone, Acrylic, PVC, ABS, MDF, Plastic
Capability: 2D Machining, 2.5D Machining, 3D Machining
Control Software: Type3, Ucancam, Artcam, Alphcam, Cabinet Vision
Operating System: Mach3, Nc-studio, Syntec, DSP, Siemens, Nk200, Nk260, NK300
Price Range: $6,800.00 – $23,000.00
- The machine is designed to perform cylindrical cuts at 360 degrees, thereby expanding its potential applications to meet the needs of industries such as furniture and gift manufacturing.
- The cylindrical material is securely held by a three-jaw self-centering chuck, ensuring uniform force exertion and accurate center positioning, thereby guaranteeing precision in milling and cutting.
- The diameter and length of the rotating axis can be customized, offering flexibility in machining operations.
- The machine features top brand guide rails that guarantee high positioning accuracy.
- A unique feature of the machine includes the ability for continuous carving at breakpoints and recovery after power failures. This ensures uninterrupted processing in case of unforeseen incidents such as tool breakages or operational pauses.
- The machine body is composed of thick-walled steel pipes, which provide a robust and stable processing platform. All bed parts are subjected to stress-relief processes prior to the machining operation, ensuring stability.
- The embedded DSP handle numerical control system with USB transmission facilitates breakpoint continuous carving and power-off memory function. The standard flash memory supports complete offline operation, and can also integrate with the computer operating system.
- The machine is designed for high processing speed and efficiency, with idle speeds reaching up to 10000mm/min. The gantry type movement design ensures durability and long-term use without deformation, making the positioning accuracy more precise.
A Comprehensive Guide to Acquiring a 3D CNC Machine
When contemplating the acquisition of a new or pre-owned 3D CNC machine via the internet, it is imperative to meticulously navigate each pivotal phase of your online procurement journey, from the initial research to the final purchase. Herein, we present a systematic, ten-step guide to facilitate your online purchase.
Step 1. Budgeting
Prior to embarking on your online shopping expedition for a machine tool, it is crucial to formulate a financial plan. Without a clear understanding of your financial capacity, decision-making can prove to be a daunting task.
Step 2. Conducting Research
Upon establishing your budget, it is essential to discern the most suitable machine tool for your specific needs. What tasks will it be utilized for? Once you have evaluated your requirements, you can proceed to compare various dealers and models by perusing expert reviews online.
Step 3. Requesting a Consultation
Our online sales manager is available for consultation, and upon understanding your requirements, will recommend the most appropriate machine tool for your needs.
Step 4. Obtaining a Free Quotation
We will provide a detailed quotation based on your selected machine tool. You will receive the optimal specifications and a price that aligns with your budget.
Step 5. Contractual Agreement
Both parties will meticulously evaluate and discuss all the details (technical parameters, specifications, and business terms) of the order to eliminate any potential misunderstandings. Once you have no reservations, we will forward you the Proforma Invoice (PI), and subsequently, a contract will be signed.
Step 6. Machine Construction
Upon receipt of your signed sales contract and deposit, we will commence the construction of your machine. Regular updates regarding the progress will be provided throughout the manufacturing process.
Step 7. Quality Inspection
The entire production process will be subject to regular inspection and stringent quality control. The completed machine will be thoroughly inspected to ensure optimal performance before it leaves the factory.
Step 8. Shipping
Shipping will commence as per the terms stipulated in the contract upon your confirmation. You can request transport information at any time.
Step 9. Customs Clearance
We will provide and deliver all necessary shipping documents to facilitate a smooth customs clearance process.
Step 10. Support & Service
We offer professional technical support and complimentary customer service via Phone, Email, Skype, WhatsApp, Online Live Chat, and Remote Service. Door-to-door service is also available in certain areas.
Care & Maintenance
Routine Computer Maintenance
Given that most 3D CNC machines are computer-operated, maintaining the computer in optimal condition is of utmost importance. Here are a few key aspects to consider:
- Regularly clean the computer chassis to prevent dust accumulation, which could cause the industrial control to malfunction. Pay special attention to the heat dissipation device of the chassis, particularly during the summer months, to prevent overheating and potential damage to the circuit board and other equipment.
- Regularly clean up computer garbage, defragment disks, optimize the computer system, and maintain the stability of the computer system.
- Regularly check and eliminate any system viruses. However, remember not to open the anti-virus program while the machine is in operation as it could cause disturbances.
3.1. Anti-virus software should not be active during operation to avoid interference.
3.2. It is advisable to use a single anti-virus software for the computer. Installing multiple antivirus software on the computer can lead to system incompatibility and potential system crashes.
Routine Maintenance of Parts
- Upon completion of the machine’s operation, ensure to clean the dust on the table and exposed electrical accessories, including the machine’s guide railsand sliders, screw and spindle motor, and the industrial control box. Even a small amount of dust in the industrial control box can cause operational issues with the circuit board, leading to breakpoints and erratic movements.
- After each use of the machine, prioritize cleaning. Ensure to clean the dust on the platform and transmission system to ensure good heat dissipation and prevent abnormal errors of the industrial control card. Regularly clean up material chips in the guide rails to prevent debris interference and machine jamming.
- Regularly (weekly) lubricate the transmission system (X, Y, Z three-axis). (Note: X, Y, and Z three-axis polished rods are maintained with engine oil. High-speed butter is added to the screw rod. If the working environment temperature is too low in winter, the screw rod and polished rod (square guide rail or circular guide rail) should be washed and cleaned with gasoline first, and then add engine oil, otherwise, it will cause too much resistance in the transmission part of the machine and cause machine misalignment.)
- When the machine is not in use, it is best to drain the water from the water tank when the room temperature is relatively low to prevent frost cracking. Temperature does not have a significant impact on the machine, but many customers add butter to the screw and forget to clean it in winter, causing the machine to malfunction when turned on, especially in studios with very low temperatures.
- The continuous running time should be less than 10 hours a day to ensure the cleanliness of the cooling water and the normal operation of the water pump. The water spindle motor must not be short of water, and the cooling water should be replaced regularly to prevent the water temperature from being too high. If the working environment temperature is too low in winter, the water in the water tank can be replaced with antifreeze.
Note: Before maintaining the machine, ensure to turn off all the power, check whether the power is still on, and proceed to the next maintenance after confirming that there are no potential safety hazards.